If you've freshly read the first two posts in this series, then feel free to skip the REVIEW and head to the section titled, CONTINUING, PART III.
Presidential Executive Order 13629 (October 26, 2012), promulgated by Barack Hussein Obama, establishes the "White House Homeland Security Partnership Council".
- to advance the Federal Government's use of local partnerships to address homeland security challenges
- Partnerships are collaborative working relationships
- Collaboration, with respect to addressing homeland security challenges, enables the Federal Government and its partners to
- Use resources more efficiently
- Build on one another's expertise
- Drive innovation
- Engage in collective action
- Broaden investments
- Improve performance.
- National Security Strategy (a 2010 document worth examining at another time) emphasizes the importance of partnerships:
- "[Federal Government] must tap the ingenuity outside government through stategic partnerships with:
- Private sector
- Community-based organizations.
- We will support such partnerships through
- Opportunities for engagement
- Information sharing.
- We must institutionalize an all-of-nation effort."
CONTINUING, PART III
So, Barack Obama wants to establish many - hundreds? - of partnerships with local entities to address homeland security problems. How will that be accomplished?
This executive order establishes the White House Homeland Security Partnership Council, and appoints as its chair the Assistant to the President for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism. Note that this new position is NOT a Cabinet position, but rather a personal "assistant to the President" position within the White House. A czar, if you will, answerable only to Barack Obama.
Who will be on the Council, and how will they be selected?
The Council will be composed of Federal officials who are from field offices of the executive departments, agencies, and bureaus. In other words, employees who work for agencies of the executive branch of the Federal Government all across America. These are people who would have lots of working knowledge of local organizations and groups who would be willing to be used by the
Do you think they will be forwarding any "fishy" email addresses?
This Council of field officers will be selected by members of the Steering Committee. The Steering Committee shall include a representative at the deputy agency head level, just below the Cabinet level, from 19 Executive branch agencies. So these are very high, very powerful people, very close to the Presidential level.
By the way, representatives of Executive branch agencies not represented in the 19 named agencies may be added to the Steering Committee by invitation of the Chair.
Do you get the sense that this whole project is going to be under the very close supervision of the President himself? I do.
Next: Final installment: The Council's 6 tasks, the enormous power of the Steering Committee, and what all this may - or may not - mean.
Tags: Executive Order 13629, Deputy heads of Executive Agencies, Field Officers, fishy email, White House Homeland Security Partnership Council, Barack Obama, American Thinker, Lee DeCovnick, civilian national security. Please mention / link to the Conservative Observer AZ. Thanks!